Wednesday, February 17, 2010

3 Months Post-Op

Last week I had my 3 month post-op appointment with my surgeon's office. Everything was fine and I was cleared for the next food phase, which now includes steak and citrus. As soon as I left the doctor I was at the grocery store in line for a mandarin orange. I'd been craving one since Christmas and it was delicious to finally sink my teeth into one!

My surgeon requires mini support group meetings with each milestone check-up, so at this appointment I also had an hour long meeting with two other patients who were also three months post-op. Both made comments about eating 6 or 8 tiny meals throughout the day and only being able to tolerate, at most, 1/2 a cup of food. My paranoia rose immediately. Here I am eating between 3/4 to 1 cup at each meal - OH NO, I thought, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Holy cow I must be stretching my pouch!!! I spoke up and asked the nurse leading the class and she said that I was fine. I was told to eat three meals a day with no snacks and that's what I've been doing. I generally have a protein shake for breakfast, then I eat solid food for lunch and dinner. I consume around 800 - 1100 calories a day and I track my food, water, vitamins, weight and exercise in my ipod every single day. On the weekends my calorie count falls because I sleep in and I just can't get in enough food during my waking hours. (haha! Who'd have thought??) I do make sure I get my protein minimum of at least 60grams and no more than 80grams. Generally I fall between 59-68 grams of protein per day. Anyway, she assured me I wasn't eating too much - that I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing. Whew!

Today's Menu:

Meal 1:
Protein "Latte" Shake
3/4 scoop of GNC Vanilla Whey Powder
2 tsps Nescafe Instant Gourmet Dark Roast Coffee
2 TBSP sugar free french vanilla creamer
10 0z of skim milk
(I have this every morning and I looove it!)

Meal 2:
2 oz of turkey sausage
1/2 cup of sauerkraut (sp?)
mandarin orange
2 Hershey Kisses

Meal 3:
Morningstar 'Veggie' Buffalo Wings (4)
2 TBSP light Ranch dressing for dip
3/4 oz of pepperjack cheese

Exercise:
16 minutes on the treadmill
12 minutes on the stationary bike

Water: 69 ounces
Vitamins: all 3 doses of calcium, 3 doses of iron, thiamine, b-12, multi-vitamin x2
Weight: 290


1 comment:

  1. You always rave about this morning shake---can you share the nutritional info?? Suach as grams of fat, protein and calories?? It sounds delish!! I think I may have to go get the ingredients to make it!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete